Friday, February 27, 2009

ADVICE: “LOOK BEFORE YOU STEP”
CAB #: 3465

I have always been that girl. You know…THAT girl. The one who mistakenly sprays I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter in her eye instead of on her bagel – on two separate occasions. The one whose hair catches on fire while blowing out her candles at her birthday party. The one who takes a $90 cab ride after spending Happy Hour with her besties, Mr. Bacardi and Senor Patron. The one who blogs in the third person about being THAT girl. I’ve always been impulsive and imperfect. And frankly, embarrassing things happen to me. Not unlike money happening to Bill Gates. Or babies happening to Octo-Mom. Or cheese happening to Wisconsin.


Yes, the silly situations I’ve seen myself through make for some entertaining stories and off-the-wall ice breakers…


“Wow, I can’t believe I’m meeting Ms. Top Chef. You were my favorite on the show last season – I was SO rooting for you! All your food looked amazing! Can I ask you what is in these scrumptious-looking wraps you’ve lovingly whipped up for us to enjoy this afternoon? Fish, really? I’m not such a fan of fish. Is it cool if I opt for the M&Ms instead?”


“Hi, it’s wonderful to meet you, Handsome Host of Random Party. Yes, I was indeed the party guest who walked smack dab into your glass door as I attempted to enter your lovely home this evening. Please don’t fret though – my bloody nose looks much more painful than it actually is. By the bye, the dip is divine.”


I can’t help but wonder if my tendency to dive head first into things – be it glass doors or low-APR credit cards or hot fudge brownie sundaes – has, in actuality, been holding me back…stunting my growth, if you will. Maybe I have control over the debt, the expanding waistline, the embarrassing things. Could it be as simple as… thinking before I speak (and drink, for that matter)?? And looking before I step…or spray the imitation butter??


High five, Cabbie #346. Methinks you’re on to something.


D

2 comments:

  1. These make my day! Methinks YOU'RE onto to something. Also, I was hoping to see something about "that girl" giving two thumbs up to Ebert...

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I also mention you are THAT girl I believe almost died after a nervous break down about "tree Man". Thought you got away from the horrific image burned into your mind didn't you. HA.

    I couldn't resist.

    I love it Deanna, this is my new escape from every-day life away from home-sweet Chicago.

    I miss you!

    -Kadi-

    ReplyDelete

Meter